Best bridgecamera for general wildlife photography
-
wsbluethroat
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2026 6:50 pm
Best bridgecamera for general wildlife photography
I was looking on amazon for bridgecameras but I dont fully trust amazon reviews so I was wondering what you folks thought
Re: Best bridgecamera for general wildlife photography
Hi WSB, don't have one myself as I use a video camera. But I believe Linda here has a Nikon, either a P900 or the 1000. She would tell you what you need to know. Panasonic make them also. Sony has one And very expensive. Nikon and Panasonic, Would probably be the best choice.
-
PimperneBloke
- Posts: 2079
- Joined: Mon May 26, 2025 9:34 am
Re: Best bridgecamera for general wildlife photography
I started with a Panasonic bridge, don't recall exactly which one. Look for something with fast shutter speed, and fast frames per second (if you think you'd like to get flying birds).
Search "best bridge camera" and look for reviews from photography mags.
Search "best bridge camera" and look for reviews from photography mags.
Re: Best bridgecamera for general wildlife photography
As William said I have Nikon P950 and Sony RX10 and the P950 has been my camera for many years and is a general good all round camera with a great zoom on it but not so good for fast moving animals or objects hence why I ended up with the Sony RX10 aswell. I think they still Retail about £1000 new not so sure about 2nd hand. Good luck in finding what suits you....its difficultWillpar wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2026 11:45 pm Hi WSB, don't have one myself as I use a video camera. But I believe Linda here has a Nikon, either a P900 or the 1000. She would tell you what you need to know. Panasonic make them also. Sony has one And very expensive. Nikon and Panasonic, Would probably be the best choice.
Pardon the Scottish accent
Re: Best bridgecamera for general wildlife photography
Hi Linda, how did you find the Sony RX 10 Was it as good as they say. Sony now has the RX 10v suppose to be an awesome camera. I ask because Sony has given up making the handycam range. Which I am using at the moment. Sorry to hijack your thread WSB.
Re: Best bridgecamera for general wildlife photography
It was good for in-flight shots so did what the other camera couldnt. I still use it at my son's gigs as it's decent in low light aswell. Yeah I see the new one out but haven't watched or read anything about it as bad enough trying to absorb info on the R7 now ...blooming cameras!!Willpar wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 4:49 pm Hi Linda, how did you find the Sony RX 10 Was it as good as they say. Sony now has the RX 10v suppose to be an awesome camera. I ask because Sony has given up making the handycam range. Which I am using at the moment. Sorry to hijack your thread WSB.
Pardon the Scottish accent
-
wsbluethroat
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2026 6:50 pm
Re: Best bridgecamera for general wildlife photography
The more info the better for this grateful noviceWillpar wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 4:49 pm Hi Linda, how did you find the Sony RX 10 Was it as good as they say. Sony now has the RX 10v suppose to be an awesome camera. I ask because Sony has given up making the handycam range. Which I am using at the moment. Sorry to hijack your thread WSB.
-
wsbluethroat
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2026 6:50 pm
Re: Best bridgecamera for general wildlife photography
If you had a choice of either the Sony or the Nikon bridgecameras which would you go for ?Linda257 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 5:23 pmIt was good for in-flight shots so did what the other camera couldnt. I still use it at my son's gigs as it's decent in low light aswell. Yeah I see the new one out but haven't watched or read anything about it as bad enough trying to absorb info on the R7 now ...blooming cameras!!Willpar wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 4:49 pm Hi Linda, how did you find the Sony RX 10 Was it as good as they say. Sony now has the RX 10v suppose to be an awesome camera. I ask because Sony has given up making the handycam range. Which I am using at the moment. Sorry to hijack your thread WSB.
Re: Best bridgecamera for general wildlife photography
Well for me it would need to be the Nikon as I shoot mostly birds which are usually at a distance but again it all depends what YOU want the camera for. At my local reserve most things are quite far away and the Nikon is great for zooming in to identify but the more you zoom the more you lose qualitywsbluethroat wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 8:33 pm If you had a choice of either the Sony or the Nikon bridgecameras which would you go for ?
Pardon the Scottish accent
-
wsbluethroat
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2026 6:50 pm
Re: Best bridgecamera for general wildlife photography
The times I went out with my late wife I used her binoculars so the better the zoom the better for me I would guess thank youLinda257 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 8:55 pmWell for me it would need to be the Nikon as I shoot mostly birds which are usually at a distance but again it all depends what YOU want the camera for. At my local reserve most things are quite far away and the Nikon is great for zooming in to identify but the more you zoom the more you lose qualitywsbluethroat wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 8:33 pm If you had a choice of either the Sony or the Nikon bridgecameras which would you go for ?