Page 1 of 1

Black Squirrel

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2025 2:23 pm
by SnappyMac
Black Squirrel

Photo taken: In the garden.

Image
Black Squirrel by SnappyMac, on Flickr

Species Information https://www.fairfieldparishcouncil.gov. ... squirrels/

Re: Black Squirrel

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2025 5:35 pm
by Linda257
Oh wow!!!

Re: Black Squirrel

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2025 7:24 pm
by Jacksparrow
SnappyMac wrote: Sun Jun 29, 2025 2:23 pm Black Squirrel

Photo taken: In the garden.

Image
Black Squirrel by SnappyMac, on Flickr

Species Information https://www.fairfieldparishcouncil.gov. ... squirrels/
I believe the black squirrels are a grey mutation and are fairly common in one small area. Is that area where you live or is that one new to you?

Re: Black Squirrel

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2025 8:53 pm
by SnappyMac
From the article I linked: Genetic tests revealed the British black is a direct descendant of the American black. It took just one cheeky squirrel to escape a zoo and mate with a grey. Now there are tens of thousands in the UK.

I am outside the main area that is south of us, but on the northern line route which may be the corridor. I have photographed one at the RSPB Sandy reserve, just north of us.

Re: Black Squirrel

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2026 3:11 pm
by wsbluethroat
Any more sightings of the black squirrel I would love to get a pic of one?

Re: Black Squirrel

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2026 7:58 am
by SnappyMac
wsbluethroat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2026 3:11 pm Any more sightings of the black squirrel I would love to get a pic of one?
No, just an occasional visit from a the grey... Eating all the bird feed :(

Re: Black Squirrel

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 9:07 pm
by wsbluethroat
SnappyMac wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2026 7:58 am
wsbluethroat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2026 3:11 pm Any more sightings of the black squirrel I would love to get a pic of one?
No, just an occasional visit from a the grey... Eating all the bird feed :(
They are all wonderful creatures but I always had a soft spot for the reds until I saw this black one. I must find one and get my own pic that is a nice target to keep me occupied :)

Re: Black Squirrel

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 9:49 am
by Willpar
Great black squirrel Snappy, have never seen one.